1,583 Customers Tasted America during the "Taste of America" Festival in Prague
July 19, 2011
The first-ever festival of American cuisine in the Czech Republic "Taste of America" organized by Alakarte company in cooperation with the U.S. Embassy, took place in Prague from June 4th through July 4th, 2011.
The festival of American cuisine introduced traditional American cuisine to the Czech people. Participants had the unique opportunity to taste traditional American dishes at twelve selected Prague restaurants (a lunch for CZK 150 and a dinner for 250 CZK, including a free Coca Cola beverage with any menu) and learn about American cuisine.
During the festival restaurants served typical American dishes, such as American hamburgers and grilled ribs, as well as various regional specialities, such as roast duck, pork carnitas, and „Grandma's Meatloaf.“
The ultimate goal of the festival was to introduce the rich diversity of American cuisine, which includes much more then just the well-known fast food, to the Czech people. American cuisine has been shaped by many cultural, historical, and geographical influences, and one must not be surprised to hear that the various regions of America each have their own types of cuisine. Festival participants picked from 23 different menus according to their tastes, and each menu was equally favored.
„We tried to introduce American cuisine as it really is, and I think we succeeded in doing so,“ says Pavel Suchanek of Alakarte. 1,583 visitors participated at the festival.
The festival also contained a rich variety of supporting programs, such as screenings of American films, an exhibition of American cookbooks, a bikini show, and a „Best Chilli Con Carne in Prague“ competition. A concert put on by American musicians at The Iron Curtain Restaurant was the final event of the festival.
List of the participating restaurants offering special American menus:
- Banditos, Melounová 1654/2, Praha 2
- Bohemia Bagel Holešovice, Dukelských hrdinů 48, Praha 7
- Bohemia Bagel Masná, Masná 2, Praha 1
- Caffrey’s, Staroměstské náměstí 10, Praha 1
- Iron Curtain, Michalská 12, Praha 1
- Jáma Bar & Grill, Petrská 23, Praha 1
- Restaurace Jáma, V Jámě 7, Praha 1
- Jáma Steakhouse, Ostrovní 26, Praha 1
- James Joyce, U Obecního dvora 4, Praha 1
- T.G.I. Friday’s Anděl, Nádražní 110, Praha 5
- T.G.I. Friday‘s Na Příkopě, Na Příkopě 27, Praha 1
- T.G.I. Friday‘s Karlova, Karlova 20, Praha 1